Saturday, November 19, 2011

Dash for Dallin 5k


Girls are swimming the Thanksgiving Invitational at the Davis Rec Center Friday and Saturday, so I decided to spend the night. Super decision, as last night we got hit with a killer snowstorm!



I really wanted to run a Turkey Trot somewhere, so I looked in the Bountiful area, and found a local 5k. Dash for Dallin. I signed up to run this on Saturday morning.

After the swim meet Friday got over, I went and had dinner with the MC Swim Team. As they were gathering everyone on the bus, I decided that I would just head to the hotel. I was staying at the same hotel as the team. I debated on whether or not to follow the bus to the hotel, as I did not know where it was, but decided to just go find it on my own. Big MISTAKE. I had typed in the address on mapquest, so I figured no problem. After 10 minutes or so, and ending up in SLC, I realized that I had typed the address in WRONG!! Where is my loo hoo when I need her. (She is my navigator when I drive.) I can't believe I did that. The freeway was a mess, and I could barely see the lines of the road! I figured out where the hotel was and now I had to backtrack to the Woodscross area. I didn't want to go back on the freeway, so I opted to stay on State Street for as long as I could. Finally at 9:30 I made it to the hotel!! I was so wound up that I had a hard time getting to sleep, even though I had an incredible room with a really comfy bed and heavenly pillows. I set my alarm for 6:45 am, and figured I would make the decision if I race in the morning.

7:00 a.m. decision made:
I will run the Dash for Dallin 5k in Kaysville. The weather was nice and sunny. I thought it would be colder than it was. I wore my under armor tights with my running skirt, my heat gear long sleeve top with a t-shirt over that, a Brooke's neon jacket, gloves, and my ear warmers. My upper body actually got hot. The race started at the Davis High School. When I arrived at the starting area I walked into the school to stay warm until the start time. I talked to a couple of people at the start line. Even though I did not know anyone, everyone seemed so friendly. I've noticed that at many races. The course was pretty hilly! First half was all up hill, zig zagging back and forth. Then the downhill began! Yeah! Love the law of gravity.

I learned that Dallin is a teenager who was diagnosed with cancer in July. He was at the starting area, looked about 16. Really cute young man. When the Dr.'s went in to remove the tumor, they noticed it had grown. His best chance was to amputate his leg. This was a fundraiser that I just happened to find on the internet. There were about 150 to 200 people who came out this morning. A mother's group was matching donations up to $1,500.00; the t shirt company donated all shirts; and the food was donated by Smiths. Sounds like the community is really supporting this family. I wonder why certain people, especially children get cancer. It is not fair. I spoke with Dallin's aunt and introduced myself, as we had been corresponding via email. Like I said, I did not know a single soul at this event, and yet I never felt out of place either. Hmm? Interesting.

Warning...sappy moment. When Dallin's aunt was introducing Dallin and was saying to him and the crowd, "When you have your dark days remember all these people who are hear today who love you, and support you." I started getting all choked up and teary eyed! Families, children, toddlers, babies in strollers, teenagers, adults of all ages, sizes, and abilities, and of course even dogs came out to support this local young man.

I tried to take a photo of me while I was running. Is this what I really look like??
I'm sorry morning runners. I didn't realize I look this bad! Oh, and the neon jacket does not photograph well. I look completely off balance, like I am in a dream. Note to self..wear some makeup in the morning!! My time today 30 minutes. I am grateful that I can run.


I realize that I have been blessed with health and strength to overcome not only the miles on the road, but also to overcome the hard times in life when you want to throw in the towel. When I cross the line now, it is a celebration of the fact that I didn't quit.

Tasya Lacy, U.S. Navy Human Resources Officer

No comments:

Post a Comment