Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Scaling Back

Even though I am just a novice runner, these past couple of weeks of cutting back have felt good. I still am doing my Race RX class 3 times a week. I was kind of getting a mental burn out from running, but now I feel rejuvenated, and am looking forward to my upcoming run this Saturday.

Yesterday I got my Runners World magazine in the mail. So excited. I really enjoy reading this magazine. One of the articles talks about how taking a break is both physically ans mentally good for you. Cutting your miles to zero and do light cross training gives your body time to repair tiny muscle tears and restock levels of hormones and enzymes that facilitate muscle regeneration. (page 31) Another point that was brought up in the article says that the number of days you should back off after a race is equal to the number of miles you ran...half-marathoners should take it easy for 13 days. That makes sense.


**From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment