Wednesday, August 31, 2011


Mindy and I went to pick up our packets last night. Wow, there are a lot of people that are registered for this. We picked up our stuff at the finish area in Providence. It was kind of a fun atmosphere there. A few vendors were on site....ICON had some of their Nordic Track clothing there at 50% off. I got me 2 running tank tops and Mindy got her a really cute running skirt. Great Basin graphics was there with some TOU clothing; IHC Sports Clinic; Kangaroo that was these small pouches that had super strong magnets on these little pocket pouches, so that you could hook them to your running shorts; Runners North was there with just a few energy items like Stingers, GU, Sports Beans; and Brother Bryan's family was there selling stickers for a fundraiser for their son who has. I had the worst headache so I picked up a Dr. Pepper! I know that pop is not what you should be consuming the day before, but sometimes you just got to do what you got to do.

I tried to eat a good pre-race meal........spaghetti. But, I guess my nerves were getting the best of me, and I could hardly eat a bite. I settled on my stand-by, egos with peanut butter and powdered sugar and a glass of milk. Sleeping that night was not that restful. I kept waking up, remembering things that I needed to take and playing my running strategy over and over in my head. Wondering....and questioning. I set my alarm for 4:30 am. The plan was for me to leave my house at 5 in the morning and go pick up Mindy. I made me a banana, pineapple, and strawberry smoothie and toasted a plain bagel then loaded it with creamy peanut butter. I was gathering my stuff and was just about to head out the door when I realized that I had forgot to put my race bib on my shirt! I usually do that the night before! Oops!! I also decided to KT Tape my foot that morning. So, I ate half of the bagel, took the other half with me, along with the rest of my smoothie and headed out the door to get Mindy.

We arrived at Zollinger Park to load onto the buses. That was quite a site.....I wish I would have snapped a picture.....10 or more school buses all lit up in the dard, waiting to take us up the canyon. I haven't been on a school bus since......1983! So we started walking with all the rest of the "insane" people headed for the bus. We sat 2 to a seat. It was a really warm morning, and I'm sure that alot of the "warmth" was nerves too. Up the canyon we go.....

When we arrived at the canyon, a TOU volunteer got on the bus to give us some last minute instructions. We got off and kind of mulled around the starting area when along came Dave, my nieces husband. I talked him in to running this too. We visited with each other until the start.

Bang! Bang! and the race is on. Along the route the TOU volunteers had written things on the road in chalk; you are insane, heel toe heel toe, half way there, and others that were too smeared to tell what they said. The aid stations were well stocked w/gatorade and water, bananas and oranges, and Vaseline and bandaids. At mile 6 my right arm was getting chafe marks, so I was one of the ones who needed the Vaseline! At the start I was debating on whether or not to run with my running belt and water bottle. I decided that I would. I was glad I did. I used the water to cool me off, drinking a little here and there. Started eating some Sports Beans around mile 3 and took my first GU about mile 6. I stopped at all of the aid stations, as I remembered my friend saying that her husband skipped an aid station last year and passed out on Hollow Road. At mile 7 there were these 2 little blond girls, about age 5 or 6, that gave me the "high five" as I passed them. I'm not sure who got the most out of that, them or me. At mile 9 there was my support mom, Jacque, Ashlee, Jenny, and Krista......signs and camera at the ready. I ran over to them and gave my mom a hug. I sure needed that! Took another GU after I saw them, and off on the highway I went. When I hit the Maverick my legs started to feel like they had icy hot on them. This was playing mind tricks with me, as I was trying to figure out what was going on....dehydration, a salt issue, body overheating and trying to cool the core down, beginning of shock.......your mind plays tricks on you....thinking too much. I ended up running right past my friend Jill who was waving her arms and screaming my name.....I didn't hear or see her!!! There was this little girl who was squirting people with the hose in Millville. I was appreciative of that cool down. As I hit mile 12 I could see the finish line. I knew how close it was, but every time I glanced up, it was far away. Mind games again.

My niece's husband, Dave, ran this too. It was fun to visit with him at the start and see him at the finish. He kicked my butt! Next time Dave!

As I crossed the finish line, there was one of my new friends, Marianne, passing out the medals. I have her a big hug. I finished strong. No iv treatments from the EMT's, I did not have to stop at the port-a-potties, no cramping, no vomiting, and I have all 10 toenails!!! My time was 2.29.52. My goal was under 3 hours. I would have liked to been faster.....but don't all runners say that after a race?

No comments:

Post a Comment